www.marilynbrant.com

Friday, June 1, 2012

A Summer in Europe...the Vlog!



Ohhhh, my God, it's JUNE! That's when school's out! It ends only a few days from now, and I'm NOT READY for that!! (Can you hear me panicking in Chicago?)

However, aside from my complete lack of preparedness for summer vacation, the week is going very well. I had the honor of being the blog guest of the lovely Jakki Leatherberry this week, who wrote a wonderful review of A Summer in Europe, did an interview with me (there's a book giveaway attached to that, btw!) and, as of today, has up a special vlog that she filmed about the book. I loved it so much, I just had to share it!!


I also had an interesting experience in the past week that, I'll admit, surprised me a little. I came down with another cold (that's not the surprising thing -- I need to get more sleep/take more Vitamin C/etc.), but I was up really late because I couldn't breathe and I thought it would be helpful if I at least did some work on my current manuscript. Well, Internet "book research" being what it is, I didn't exactly stay on task for as long as I should have. I veered...and somehow found myself at the CW Network site watching the pilot episode of "The Vampire Diaries."

This part is surprising because I really am not so big into the whole neck-biting, blood-sucking vampire thing, and I'd all but vowed not to watch it and yet, yet...the character that Ian Somerhalder (formerly Boone on "LOST") plays on the show, the remarkably strong cast as an ensemble, the conflict-laden brotherly relationship, the love triangle, the excellent writing and the unexpected humor (most of which originates with Somerhalder's bad-
boy vampire character, Damon Salvatore) totally won me over. Even more surprising, I ended up renting the Season One DVDs and have been devouring them like a vamp who was turned in 1864 and...oh, never mind.

Have any of you ever had that happen? You were so sure a show/film/book wasn't "right for you," but then you gave it a chance and it completely captivated you? Makes me wonder -- what TV series should I try next? (It does not need to have supernatural creatures in it to interest me, btw. ;) I'd love to hear about your faves, and I'm open to suggestions!!

Wishing you a great weekend and a very happy June, everyone!

11 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

Fabulous vlog! Your book sounds so good, and she's a great reader. What fun!

I discovered NCIS by accident after we finally connected the little kitchen TV to cable. I turn it on while preparing dinner and cleaning. I don't care for crime fighting shows, so had never watched them. I got hooked by their great characters, and I hooked my husband. Now we're both huge NCIS fans.

Marilyn Brant said...

Edie, thank you! I thought Jakki did such a terrific job reading that segment...and I loved her t-shirt, LOL.

I'm not a regular NCIS viewer, but I've seen several episodes and really enjoyed them. I, too, was worried about the violence at first, but I know what you mean about the show having great characters. Easy to get hooked!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out, Marilyn! :)
That happens quite a bit with novels (since I don't watch much tv). Sometimes I am not quite sure about a book, then give it a chance and it rocks my world! That is when I know a book is really good- if it can take my skeptism and turn it into adoration!
Sam & I recently got hooked on Person of Interest when his uncle came down for spring break, oh & Shark Tank! We love that show!
I don't want to start watching The Vampire Diaries because I know I will get hooked, which will lead to me getting behind in reading & we can't have that! ;)

MonicaP said...

AHHHHH I LOVE THE VAMPIRE DIARIES! There are so many plot twists, every week I'm like "what the -".... "wait, what?".... If you ever get the urge to just gush to someone about it, I'm your girl. And Ian Somerhalder, from what I know of him, is just as beautiful on the inside and he is on the outside.

I didn't think I'd like the Twilight saga books at all, but I did. My friend and my sis-in-law bugged me for like two years to read it before I finally did, and I finished all 4 books in 7 days. Didn't think I'd get into the 95 P&P, either, but you know how that went! ;)

Pamala Knight said...

The Vlog was wonderful! Thanks for sharing it, Marilyn.

I remember when the Vampire Diaries first came on, I wanted to watch but can't remember why I didn't. Maybe the time slot interfered with something else, but OH MY. Ian is very yummy and even in the LJ Smith books, I liked his character more than Stephan, lol. I'll have to check the DVD's out from the library.

I too, am half-dreading/can't wait for the end of school to be here. Seems like we're all so busy lately, right? I hope you're well.

xx

Marilyn Brant said...

Jakki, I've never seen Shark Tank (!!), but I've watched several episodes of Person of Interest and I can see why you like it -- really quirky, interesting characters. And, yes, you probably would get hooked on The Vampire Diaries (those piercing blue eyes that Ian has...swoon :), so, for the sake of your sleep and your reading time, don't start!! p.s. Happy Birthday!

Monica, OH, GOOD!!!!!!!! I need someone to talk about this show with!!! I'm freakishly addicted now and working like crazy to catch up so I understand everything I've missed. I know exactly what you mean about the plot twists! BTW, I had the same reaction to the Twilight saga -- I was one of those people who didn't read it for ages, and then I read all 4 books really fast (not in 7 days, though! I think it took me 3 weeks ;).

Pamala, it's so good to hear from you!! I heard (through Abigail) that you have a lot going on right now, which makes the end of the school year even busier...sending hugs your way. And, yes, as a paranormal fan, I think you'd really enjoy this series -- definitely worth checking out the discs if only to admire the hotties on the show ;). xox

Robin Bielman said...

Hi Marilyn! I LOVED Jakki's vlog! She's awesome! And I'm a huge Vampire Diaries fan! Welcome to Mystic Falls! :)

Caryn Caldwell said...

Good to know about Vampire Diaries! It's not my usual taste either, but I'm always looking for something new to watch so maybe I'll look into it a little further.

Marilyn Brant said...

Robin, Jakki is definitely awesome, and her vlog makes me grin from ear to ear (plus, I want one of those t-shirts ;). I didn't know you watched TVD!!!!!!! Oh, good!! Love knowing I have someone I can talk about it with...

Caryn, my guess is that you'll know if TVD is right for you after just an episode or two. I thought I was going to be able to stop after the pilot, but there were lingering questions and I figured, oh, what's another episode...and pretty soon I'd finished all of Season One, LOL.

BeckyC said...

I had thought about watching Vampire Diaries, but never let myself start...not sure why. Then I saw your post, watched the pilot that night and now I am about half way through season 2. Yes, I seem to be addicted. Just as Jakki feared, my reading time is a bit jealous! But it has been well worth the it!

Marilyn Brant said...

Becky,
Oh, I'm thrilled you liked it!! So...it reeled you in, too, eh?! I'll admit, I'm a total and complete addict now. I've obsessively watched the first 2 seasons and am trying to catch up via reruns on season 3. You, Monica, Robin and I are going to have to have a long chat about that show sometime!!