www.marilynbrant.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Got My First Real Six-String...

...bought it in my college dorm, played it 'til my fingertips turned purple, it was the winter of '88. (Yeah, I know Bryan Adams had better lyrics and, also, his rhymed, but my version of the song would've had to start out differently. You just never forget your first guitar, do you? Or, um, your first really steamy summer...LOL. ;) My ever-wonderful brother took me to see Bryan in concert at the Chicago Theater last night, and it was a fantastic performance. The "Bare Bones" tour featured only Bryan on guitar/harmonica, alongside a piano player named Gary (Breit?), who was also an outstanding musician. Considering it was just the two of them performing acoustically, the sound quality was amazing, and Bryan's powerful and distinctive voice filled the theater. I knew and loved so many of the songs he sang. Really. It was like I got to relive the nostalgic '80s and half of the '90s in two music-packed hours. "Run to You," "This Time," "It's Only Love," "Here I Am," "Cuts Like a Knife," "Somebody," "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman," "Straight from the Heart," "Coming Back to You," "Heaven" and "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" were some of the popular selections -- as well as "Summer of '69," which I couldn't wait to hear again. 

The show was actually rescheduled from early October, when Bryan had to cancel because of illness. Instead of a sunny autumn Saturday, we had to go downtown on a freezing January Tuesday night, on a day when it had been raining/snowing/hailing (in various combinations) all morning. So, when I say this concert was worth the wait and the added travel challenges, you have to know it was a great show! 

Do you have a favorite or most memorable Bryan Adams song?!

9 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

"Have you ever really loved a woman" always gives me chills. His voice...so sexy.

I saw Paul McCartney and the Wings in a rain one night at the old Milwaukee stadium (the one without the roof). The weather made it more memorable. It was great!

Robin Bielman said...

How fun! I love that we never tire of all those great 80's songs and singers!

Marilyn Brant said...

Edie, oh, I'm envious! Paul McCartney and Wings!!! Wow... "Band on the Run" has been one of my favorite songs for DECADES! I just listened to it on my iPod this week. I bet that was an incredible show! And I know what you mean about the rain making it even more memorable, especially when you've got a singer who has a famous song that with the line: "Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash as we fell into the sun...and the first one said to the second one there, 'I hope you're having fun' ;).

Robin, thank you, and I agree! I'm sure there are millions of teens out there wondering why all those dorky adults still listen to '80s music, LOL, but there's something so distinctive about the era that just rockets us back to it when signature songs are played by the performers that made them famous: Loverboy, Def Leppard, Madonna, The Police, Duran Duran, Journey, Foreigner, Styx, The Go-Gos, etc. And watching MTV videos in those early days...SUCH big hair! So many fog machines! Tapered pants, headbands and lacy gloves! I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it ;).

Jill Thomas said...

I have a special love for his EVERYTHING I DO song. My son was five years old and we went to see PRINCE OF THIEVES (during my Kevin Costner crush). He and I sat in an emptying theater, listening to Bryan's almost heartbreaking rendition and, though, I guess most people think of it as a romantic song, the words spoke to my mother's heart. "Oh, you can't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
I can't help it, there's nothin' I want more
Yeah, I would fight for you, I'd lie for you
Walk the wire for you, yeah I'd die for you
You know it's true
Everything I do, oh, I do it for you"

Still feel the same lump in my throat every time I hear it...twenty years later.

MonicaP said...

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman" gives me the tinglies. I like a lot of his songs but that was the first that came to my mind.

Marilyn Brant said...

Jill, those lyrics -- when I thought of them from a "mom" perspective, like you'd said -- immediately made me teary. I can see why that song touched you when you heard it with your son. Our baby boys grow up too fast, don't they? Sigh. xo

Monica, I remember first hearing "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" when I watched the film "Don Juan DeMarco." Seeing Johnny Depp and hearing those lyrics at the same time was really memorable to me. It fit the movie and the mood SO well. Definitely gave me the tinglies, too!

Caryn Caldwell said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I like a lot of his songs, and still turn the radio up when I hear "Summer of '69", even though it makes my husband groan and roll his eyes if he's within mocking distance. :-D

As for steaminess, I think "When You Really Love a Woman" actually has to be one of the hottest songs out there. (That and Michael Buble's "Save the Last Dance for Me") Nothing outright or overt, no R-rated lyrics. Just yearning and heat and love. *swoon*

Robin Bielman said...

Oh man, now you've got me wanting to put on some 80's music and dance around the house singing at the top of my lungs. :D

Have a great weekend!

Marilyn Brant said...

Caryn, LOL! I have one of those mocking husbands, too! And I'm so with you on the sexiness and appeal of Michael Buble... Love those songs that are just really sensual like that :).

Robin, I hope you do it!! I should probably turn on the music & dance around our house just to stay warm -- it's freezing today!

Hope you all are having a fun and relaxing weekend!!!