www.marilynbrant.com

Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday, Monday

It's not as though I'm a huge fan of that '60s Mamas & Papas song, but I can't help but hear its bopping sounds in my brain nearly every Monday as I struggle to begin the week. Its relentlessness is crazy-making, and I can only deal with it by forcing myself to hum another Monday song... Which is why I find myself eventually turning to the Carpenters' classic "Rainy Days and Mondays" (plus, after an hour or more of "Monday, Monday," I desperately need a change of decade). Then, finally, when I can tolerate the '70s no longer, my mental soundtrack transitions to the Boomtown Rats '80-something anthem "I Don't Like Mondays."

After that, I stop cold.

Are there '90s songs--or currently popular ones--that have a Monday theme? I don't know of any, and today, at least, this musical ignorance bothers me. I find myself wondering, WHY aren't there more modern Monday songs? Did Nirvana or Smashing Pumpkins or some other hot group of the time write one and I completely missed it because I was, oh, too busy being a new mom in the '90s? Or, worse, have musicians decided that there's no good reason for composing songs about simple things like a typically depressing day of the week when, instead, they could be writing about sex or drugs or "new shoes" (like that way-too-cheerful Italian singer I keep seeing on VH1)?

So, if anyone out there knows of a good, post-'80s Monday song, please shout out. I need to modernize my mental soundtrack before insanity sets in. Seriously, folks. Hurry.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What about Manic Monday by the Bangles? Written by the purple one himself, Prince?

AND, the "New Shoes" song (ridiculously catchy thing that it is) is both a tuesday and a thursday song! :)

I'm your first comment! wooooo!

Marilyn Brant said...

Oh! I forgot about "Manic Monday"... How could I? Thank you, SPJ.

And thanks, also, for informing me the other day that the "New Shoes" singer, despite having an Italian last name, is actually Scottish. (Real life is full of surprises. :-)