www.marilynbrant.com

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Congrats, Simone!!!

Just wanted to shout out to all of the Blogosphere about the fabulously wonderful news my good friend/critique partner/fellow Chicago-North member Simone Elkeles got yesterday: Her just-released sixth YA novel, Rules of Attraction, will be debuting on the New York Times Bestseller List at #3!!!!!!! Check it out on Amazon and don't miss the really great "movie" trailer of the book on the page! I loved it!!

And Perfect Chemistry, the first book in the series, is a novel I read in draft form about 7 years ago. It's been such a thrill to see this story develop from unpublished manuscript to bestseller... What a journey! Check out that Amazon page and the "music video" for the book,too--it's hilarious!!

Most of all, having witnessed firsthand all of the time, effort and incredibly hard work that went into this accomplishment, the writer in me can only stand up and clap wildly in admiration. The friend in me, though, gets to do a little more. I get to squeeeeeee (!!) and say: OMG, Simone! IT HAPPENED!! All of those nights, when we were both newbie aspiring writers, and we stayed up way too late, talking, hoping, dreaming about getting just one book published, let alone having multi-book contracts or hitting bestseller lists... Back then, this was just a fantasy...

Not anymore, sister!!

Congratulations (x 1 million), Simone!!!!!!! Let the celebrations begin! :)

16 comments:

Robin said...

Huge congratulations to Simone!! I bet you guys will do some extra celebrating this weekend!

Edie Ramer said...

I saw that on Kris Nelson's blog yesterday. How awesome! I've been reading YA books lately, and I'll check hers out.

Most of all, having witness firsthand all of the time, effort and incredibly hard work that went into this accomplishment, the writer in me can only stand up and clap wildly in admiration.

I feel the same way about my CP, Michelle Diener. Her debut historical ILLUMINATIONS will be out next year. I love her writing, and can't wait to hold it in my hands.

Marilyn Brant said...

Robin~Yes, indeed!! :-) Hugs to you for a wonderful weekend, too!

Edie~I'm looking forward to reading Michelle's debut as well!! I know it must be extra sweet for you, though, since she's your CP. I have no doubt she's just as anxious to hold one of your books in her hands, too...

Simone Elkeles said...

Thanks, Marilyn! You've been there with me from the beginning and I share the honor with you. Thanks for critiquing my work and helping me get to the New York Times bestseller list!

Pamala Knight said...

Congratulations Simone!! It's such a well-deserved accolade and Marilyn and you both deserve all the praise that could possibly be heaped upon you.

*Waves*

Pamela Cayne said...

Congrats, Simone! Can't wait to tell you in person tomorrow or Saturday!

Tonya Kappes said...

That is wonderful news! Big cyber high five to Simone!

Marilyn Brant said...

Simone~As writers, we're supposed to be able to find words to describe everything under the sun--there aren't enough great adjectives for this amazing accomplishment, though!! You really, truly deserve this, and I'm SO happy for you!

Pamala~You're a sweetie! And that you took time to comment--with everything you have going on--that's just remarkable. Thanks, hon!

Pamela~SO excited to see you!!!!

Tonya~I'll give her a real High 5 for you tomorrow ;).

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!

Maria Geraci said...

Congrats, Simone! So inspiring!

Maria Geraci said...

Okay, just saw the book trailer. Who did that?? It's fantastic! Almost like a movie preview!

Rain Maiden said...

These books have been on my wish list. I can't wait to read them. Congrats Simone!

L.A. Mitchell said...

What a wonderful thing to share. Can't wait for it to be our group :) Congrats, Simone

Brittany Roshelle said...

Congrats to Simone! That is incredibly exciting and inspiring for any unpublished writer that if you persevere and follow your dreams, it will happen!

Marilyn Brant said...

Maria, so glad you liked the video, too! Isn't it fabulous?! I asked Simone who did it, and she told me the director was Pete Jones (the guy who won Project Greenlight in the first season ;).

Rain, thanks so much for stopping by! I have no doubt you'll enjoy Simone's stories :-).

L.A.~You bet!! I'm looking forward to celebrating more friends who hit the NYT bestseller list!

Brittany~you nailed it. All that hard work and perseverence really paid off for her. Nothing happened overnight, but it was SO wonderful when it all came together!

Michelle Diener said...

Huge congrats, Simone. I LOVED all the book trailers I saw. Laughed out loud in the one for Perfect Chemistry. So well done.

And Marilyn, you are so right about my feelings on Edie. I cannot WAIT to celebrate her success when it comes. Its just a matter of time . . .

Marilyn Brant said...

Thanks, Michelle! It's great when friends have such a terrific CP relationship :). And I agree with you about Simone's rap video--I laugh every time I watch it!