www.marilynbrant.com

Friday, June 20, 2008

Emma Goes Gangsta

Okay, it's been a couple of days since I first saw this article and this one and, quite honestly, I'm still not sure what to make of it.

A gangsta, hip-hop musical version of Jane Austen's novel Emma.

Really? (Breathing deeply, trying to fully assimilate the implications.)

I mean, REALLY??!

There's a part of me that's thinking, "Hey, more Jane is always a good thing. No matter what, right? They're being creative and showing the incredible adaptability of her work." And there's another part of me that keeps saying, "WTF?!" over and over again.

I just keep trying to picture the dance moves. And what this new urban "Mr. Knightly" will be like. And what Jane would say if she were to watch the film with me.

Good thing she had such a great sense of humor...and I'm nothing if not curious about how the classic "Emma" character will translate to the screen in this particular incarnation. (Hey, I loved Clueless. :-) But what do you think? Would Jane be delighted by this adaptation or horrified?

6 comments:

L.A. Mitchell said...

I didn't even know Clueless was based on Emma, so my guess is this is only for publicity sake and the end product won't bear any resemblance to anything Austin-esque.

And yes, anything that keeps Austin in the news is OH so good for your publicity :)

K.M. Saint James said...

Because you said Jane had a great sense of humor, then I'll assuming she's laughing and not rolling over in her grave. A new, urban Mr. Knightly? Not something I can picture. I'm old school enough that I liked the original.

Of course, they say there are only 8 original plot lines and everything from there is a copy, so maybe there's really no choice.

How are those shirts folding? GRIN!

Have a great writing day!

Marilyn Brant said...

Thanks, L.A. I really hope you're right about the publicity!!

Sandra, I gotta tell you--that shirt-folding video rocked my world! I hope everyone who reads this checks out your blog and watches it :).

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn! Thanks for visiting me!

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I loved Clueless too, but this storyline seems a bit too far out of the realm for me to buy in to.

Marilyn Brant said...

Hi Robin! (Thanks for visiting me, too. :) And, yes...the whole idea is one I'm still trying to embrace, but it isn't really working for me. However, the new Broadway P&P musical, I'm unequivocally psyched about, if only because the lyrics have to be hilarious!

Nadine said...

I think Jane Austen would love this - period pieces have limited audiences (no man I have ever known could sit through the whole BBC version of Pride & Prejudice) and to do a current adaptation for a different audience breathes life into the classic. Having said that though, I didn't connect the dots btw Emma and Cluless myself (I had to be told) - the movie worked independently of the Austen connection. If this urban version does well or tanks will depend on far more than the Jane Austen connection...