www.marilynbrant.com

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Brant Flakes TOP 5

This is the first time in my two-and-a-half years of blogging that I've done a Top 5 (or a Top 10, Top 20, Top Anything for that matter...), but this has been a month of firsts, so I guess it's fitting. Without further ado, he's my Rocktober Top 5:

1. My book came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I got to celebrate around Chicagoland *and* around the Blogosphere with THE MOST FABULOUS FRIENDS EVER!! (Thanks to ALL of you!!!!)

2. According to Jane has been on the Amazon Kindle Bestseller List for 4 straight weeks!! (It's still on there--between #18-#24 today--in the categories of Contemporary Romance and Fantasy, and it actually hit #1 in both of those categories earlier this month.) I'm well aware that it didn't get there by itself...so thank you to everyone who picked it up in paperback or ebook form. *smooch!*

3. I got an excited email from the truly wonderful NovelWhore last week telling me that my book was featured in the Barnes & Noble Review and had made it on "The Long List" for the week of October 13th!! The book was described as: "Fresh, original, and lots of fun." To that B&N-online writer: Thanks. You have rocketed your way onto my list of Favorite People for 2009!

4. After months (literally) of debate, my second novel finally has a title!! Coming October 2010 to bookstores everywhere: Fridays at Nine (Kensington trade). Like an Oxygen Network version of a Grimm's fairy tale, it's the story of three forty-something suburban moms who ask each other if they made the right choice in marrying the man they did... Interesting situations follow.

5. Last but far from least, I have the world's most awesome brother! He not only came to my book launch, bought several copies of an incredibly women's fiction-y book (despite being a very manly guy) to give as gifts to his friends and promoted this novel with the drive of a marketing exec, but he ALSO got us tickets to the Rob Thomas (with One Republic and Carolina Liar) concert to celebrate my book's release! To be able to sign my first novel AND dance to Rob singing "Smooth" and "This is How a Heart Breaks" in the SAME day...that was pretty memorable. Thanks, Bro!

I'm visiting Number One Novels on Monday and will be going back to The Dungeon with Heidi Betts on Tuesday!! As always, you're all welcome to join me, and I hope some of you will :).

20 comments:

Nancy J. Parra said...

OMG- Rob Thomas?! I am so envious!! LOL Yay for your top 5.

lainey bancroft said...

And if that isn't a TOP 5 that would make at least the Top 10 of me envious...

Er, um, I don't mean to suggest there are ten of me, or that I even weigh enough to be ten (although two is a rapidly approaching possibility...)

OH! Never mind. Woo Hoo Marilyn! Woo Hoo Jane!

And Rob Thomas?!? Why didn't I get a cool brother?????

Erica said...

He is SUCH a good brother!

Congratulations as well on all of the good writing-related news, of course, especially because it is so well deserved.

Maria Geraci said...

Congratulations on all your well deserved success! And enjoy the concert. I'm so envious!!

Pamala Knight said...

Aren't brothers the coolest??? I'm so happy for you Marilyn. LOVE the new title and you deserve all the accolades and acclaim that comes your way for an awesomely well-written book.

Might need a karaoke version of 'Smooth' from you at SF2010. *grins*

Yay!!

Marilyn Brant said...

Nancy~It was a *great* concert (and probably almost as good as that Flock of Seagulls event you told me about once ;-)!

Lainey~LOL!! Thank you so much for the cheers, sweetie. And you are in NO WAY close to weighing x2! Me, on the other hand... I think I need to just stop eating. :)

Erica~He IS a good brother! I got lucky. And thank you for the congrats and for being so encouraging long before all of this. *hug*

Maria~Thank you! Can't wait to celebrate much Bunco Babe-ness in a few weeks!! (My Amazon pre-order is poised to ship on 11/3. ;)

Pamala~Thanks so much for the kind words and all the supportiveness! I do, however, draw the line at karaoke. Trust me, if you want Spring Fling to turn out as well as planned, I should be nowhere near a microphone and most definitely NOT singing!!

Kwana said...

That is an awesome top 5!

Pamela Cayne said...

What an exciting and fabulous Top 5! May all your months be as awesome as Rocktober!!!

Marilyn Brant said...

Kwana~Thank you!!! :)

Pamela~Thanks (*mwah!*)--you did a lot to make it a great month...

K.M. Saint James said...

What an amazing month. Congrats to a well-deserving author. May all things bright and beautiful shine on your writing parade. Can't wait to read it.

Vesper said...

Great Top 5, Marilyn! :-)

Rocktober rocks!

Marilyn Brant said...

Sandra~thanks so much for the congrats and for that lovely blessing, too :).

Vesper~it *does* rock!! Thank you!

Caryn Caldwell said...

Okay, how did I miss this post? Anyway, mega congratulations to you on your fabulous month! It's well deserved.

Robin said...

What a great list! Congrats and best wishes for the coming months too! I love the title of your next book!

Gail Fuller said...

What a great list and what a fabulous brother! Ooh, and Fridays at Nine sounds amazing.

Keep the exciting posts coming!
Gail :)

Marilyn Brant said...

Caryn, thanks for the mega congrats!

Robin, thank you for the good wishes...and for liking that title! It took us long enough to settle on it :).

Gail, thanks, sweetie--and what a lovely post you had up on NWIB yesterday! I love the amazing connection you and your hubby have. You made us all want to be romantics like that!!

Enid Wilson said...

Congratulations Marilyn! You have a lot to celebrate and the premise of your next novel seems great. I'm a 40 something too and it's the right time to look back.

Steamy Darcy

Marilyn Brant said...

Enid, thanks so much for visiting me here! Your book, Bargain with the Devil, has me quite intrigued (and I love steamy scenes :).

Anna J. Adams said...

Your brother is awesome! Great taste in music, both of you :-) I also love the blurb about your new book and can't wait to read it. What an interesting question to ask, especially if you've been married for years and now know what your significant other is *really* like!
Have a great last week of October!

Marilyn Brant said...

Heather, thanks!! And I know you share our "great taste" in music :).