www.marilynbrant.com

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Short Stories and Sweet Treats


On our new Austen Variations blog and in honor of this heart-filled holiday, several of us (myself included) have Valentine's Day excerpts up from our stories. I also have a free short story available to anyone who'd like it called "A Tale of Two Matchmakers" (featuring the ever-meddlesome Emma Woodhouse, Mr. Knightley, and a fairy name Sylvia, LOL). Hope you'll enjoy both!

And, of course, what would be a romantic holiday without a few sweet treats, right? Well, it turns out that February 5th was "World Nutella Day!" Yes, a celebration devoted to one of my favorite foods... I didn't know about it until this week, but better late than never, right?! Here are a bunch of recipes to make sure you can eat something Nutella laden all day long, if you so desire :). And I've included the one I most want to try below, because I think it's a PERFECT treat for Valentine's Day. Hope you'll enjoy it, too, and that you'll have a wonderful and romantic weekend!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

--- See the step-by-step instructions with pictures on "The Kitchn" Blog HERE ---
Strawberry–Nutella Pop Tarts 
adapted from Macheesmo, makes about 8-10 Pop Tarts
2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 sticks of chilled, unsalted butter, diced
4 tablespoons of ice water
Best quality strawberry jam/preserves and Nutella, for filling
Powdered sugar for dusting
Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Add the butter and pulse until it is roughly the size of peas. Next, add the water, and process until the dough starts to form a ball. Split the dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle on a lightly-floured surface until it is about a 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into evenly-shaped rectangles using a knife or a pizza cutter. Repeat with the second ball of dough. Line two baking sheets with foil and place the squares of dough down on them, about an inch apart.
Spread the preserves or Nutella (or both) in the center of each rectangle (I used about 1-2 tablespoons).
Top each rectangle with a second sheet of dough and seal the edges by gently pressing dough on the dough with a fork. Work your way around the entire tart with the fork, making sure the edges are sealed.
Prick each pop tart with a fork. Now, freeze the tarts for several hours. Bake them for about about 25-30 minutes, at 375 degrees F. Let the pop tarts cool slightly, before dusting them with powdered sugar. (you can make a glaze, but I like them lightly dusted with sugar).
(part of The Kitchn's "Breakfast with a Blogger" series)
 You definitely want to visit Kasey and Matthew's blog for LOTS of amazing recipes and music to go along with them: Turntable Kitchen

8 comments:

Jane Odiwe said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Marilyn! Am drooling here...

Marilyn Brant said...

Thanks, Jane!!
Hope your Valentine's was wonderful, too...and, yes, Nutella makes my mouth water just thinking about it ;). xox

Deborah Ann said...

Looks delisch. Will have to try it for my hubby.

Robin Bielman said...

Hi Marilyn! I hope you had a great Valentine's Day! You continue to amaze me, my friend. You do so much and are so good to your readers!

I've uh, never tried nutella. I'll have to remedy that this year!

Pamala Knight said...

Hope you had something delicious and decadent for Valentine's Day my friend. Only fitting since you've posted this delicious recipe ;)

xx

Marilyn Brant said...

Deborah,
I hope he'll enjoy it!! :)

Robin,
Awww, thank you! My readers (and friends) are very good to me ;). As for Nutelly...ohhh, I hope you'll give it a try! Be forewarned, though -- it's addictive, LOL.

Pamala,
Hope you had a decadent Valentine's Day treat or two as well! And I thought about you during your presentation this week... Would love to hear how it went whenever we get to chat next!!

Hugs to you all! xoxo

Unknown said...

*waves* Hi, Marilyn! I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day and weekend!

Oh, how we love Nutella in our house! My SIL sent me that link to all those yummy recipes. Must make one soon! Alyssa Goodnight posted a while back a Nutella hot chocolate recipe that I have yet to try, but really must! (Should look that up again and see how it is made). Perfect for a cold day like today! ;)

Hope you are staying warm! :)

Marilyn Brant said...

Jakki,
Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's, too! And I'm glad you are all Nutella fans in your house... Honestly, I could eat (and *have* eaten) it by the spoonful, right from the jar...until it's almost gone. LOVE that stuff!
xo