www.marilynbrant.com

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Reunited

The upcoming summer months seem to be the season for high-school reunions and, while I'm not especially big on them myself (read: I haven't gone to one, nor do I anticipate doing so, but never say never, right?), I've been contemplating them with some interest over the past few weeks. 

Doesn't help that I recently read Twilight for the first time. (I know, I know--it's been out for 5 years--but I was busy...) It was a story that piqued my curiosity for a number of reasons, not the least of which was because I remember high-school biology. Vividly. [*Pausing to wave to Erika J.B., my very nice lab partner for Bio I* :-).] We dissected a mink once. Don't ask. The teacher made us take LOTS of notes on the structure of plant life. (Little good it did my black thumb.) And, sometime when I was 16, I remember falling deeply in love with Mendelian genetics. I'm sure you need no further proof of my geekiness than that, but it was a fascinating subject. 

What I don't remember is having a potent bio-lab romantic experience. Really. Not ever. And not just because I was a geek. There were no lustful glances across a table cluttered with glass slides, scalpels or petri dishes. No heated stares filled with intensity or longing taking place anywhere within the vicinity of a human-body chart. No heady scents, save that of formaldehyde. I won my high school's "senior science award." I started college as a bio major and even had a partial scholarship for biology. You understand what I'm saying, right? I spent HOURS in those freakin' labs. Yet, there was not one single hot bio moment in either high school or college. Probably why I eventually switched majors. 

But I heard stories. I knew some people out there--somewhere--were doing way more than analyzing amoebas through a microscope on those flat, black and rather cold lab tables. No trihybrid crosses or double helixes for them, baby. And these tales (at least 70% fantasy, I was sure of it!) were enough to make me watch with rapt interest in subsequent years any teen program that featured a bio class as the setting. Who else remembers the first season of "Roswell," hmm? Katherine Heigl, the early years... Her TV-show brother and fellow teen alien, Jason Behr, had bio lab with the doe-eyed human Shiri Appleby. Never before had the study of cheek cells and bacteria been so invigoratingly passionate. 

Fastforward a bit and we get Stephenie Meyer's Bella and Edward. OMG, the sexual tension in merely looking at onion slices! These scenes are in no way reminiscent of my personal science-class experiences. And it occurred to me this week, as I was thinking about high-school reunions, that I'm very, very glad. That in some things, I'm grateful my memories are devoid of teen crushes, adolescent angst and the gut-twisting awkwardness of youth. I'll take my bio labs plain and untainted, thank you. There were too many other subjects that weren't so lucky. 

Have any of you gone to your high-school reunions? If so, which one(s)? What were your impressions? And, most of all, would you do it again?!

14 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

I've been getting emails and letters about an upcoming high school reunion, but I have no desire to go. However, we have an Irish Fest in summer, and I've heard that it's an unofficial reunion place. I might go to that this year.

I tried to read Twilight but wasn't able to get past the first few chapters. I've read other YA books that I love. The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter was great. I've heard her new series is even better.

Pamela Cayne said...

I haven't been to a reunion yet and don't necessarily plan to. Plus, with Facebook now it's easy to connect with those few friends you wanted to see at the reunion without actually having to go!

Maria Geraci said...

I've been to all my reunions- 10, 20 and yes (cough) 30! It was fun reconnecting with friends! And a lot of people got a kick out of the fact that I'm now a "famous" author. If they only knew!

Marilyn Brant said...

Edie~I've heard great things about Ally Carter's books! Thanks for the recommendation ;). As for reunions, I think my 25th will be held this summer but, much like h.s., I'm hardly "in the know"--LOL.

Pamela~Facebook is SO intriguing, isn't it?! I've learned lots of very interesting things there...

Maria~What are you talkin' about?! You ARE a famous author!! And, actually, a RITA nominee that I know told me how much she *loved* BBGW... I'll have to tell you in person what she said ;-).

Rain Maiden said...

I haven't been to any of my reunions..but I would love to be a fly on the wall.

miriama said...

I haven't gone and I am not going. :) I have recently been friended by several people from my school and while some are fantastic I can still tell that others are still stuck in that clique rut. You know what I am talking about. And while their opinions of me don't matter I don't see why I would do anything to put me in an uncomfortable or bad mood.

Marilyn Brant said...

LOL, Rain!!! I'm so with you there. What do you think? Secret film footage of our high-school reunions that we can see on YouTube, perhaps? Now, THAT I would watch! With popcorn and licorice sticks. Probably for hours ;-).

Miriama~ohhhh, yessss. I know JUST what you're talking about... I think it's exceptionally rare for people's core values to change. I can believe that there were people in h.s. that I didn't know well who might be really kind and compassionate 40-somethings. I can also believe that many of the people I thought were a bit immature back then have now grown up to be wise and well-adjusted adults. But I have a hard time believing that anyone who was genuinely cruel or who behaved with angry, persistent cattiness at age 16 or 17 would likely have changed significantly. I've met just enough nasty and manipulative 30-40 year olds to know that these are people who've been honing their "skills" for decades. :)

tonya kappes said...

I went to the first one and EVERY one was there. Last year we had our 20th and non of the 'popular' people were there. I didn't go (not b/c I was popular) because my son had a tournament that weekend and he's way way more important than a high school class reunion!

Oh...I haven't read Twilight either:)

Robin said...

My graduating class was really small. We had a ten year reunion and I went, but that's it for me. One of my best friend's is from high school and she hears things here and there so fills me in. I would, however, love to have a reunion with my sorority. I wish they did that. Those are friends I'd love to know what happened to because I only keep in touch with a couple of them.

Loved your recollection, Marilyn!

Marilyn Brant said...

Tonya~good for you that you had the courage to go to one once! And I agree--family events definitely take precedence over things like reunions. (In my case, even dusting takes precedence... ;)

Thanks, Robin! I have fond memories of biology, even though it wasn't "a romantic adventure"--LOL! As for your sorority, YOU should plan the reunion!! You'd be wonderful at organizing it (not until after your very busy summer, of course :). Between you and the friends you still hear from, I'll bet you'd be able to contact many members of the group...

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Marilyn, this is a great post. I had a crush on a guy in my chemistry class but he was never my lab partner and probably didn't know I existed-even though I was friends with his twin sister. He was simply too cool. :)
I only went to one reunion, my 20th and can I just say how shocked I was at the number of people still carrying around grudges from high school? Really? Nope not planning on attending another. :D Cheers~

Marilyn Brant said...

Nancy, thank you!! And that's interesting about the h.s. grudges still going strong after 20 years. Can't say I'm shocked to hear it, but that doesn't make it less bizarre... ;-). I feel lucky that most of the people I know now are just so wonderful! Thanks for being one of the good ones! xo

Brittany Roshelle said...

Lol! I definitely do not plan on attending any high school reunions either! That's awesome that you are reading Twilight. I thought the first and the last books were the best (more action packed). I never thought about how improbable that biology lab scene was though!

Marilyn Brant said...

Thanks, Brittany!! I read Twilight and saw the movie this month. I've now rented New Moon (to watch this weekend) and will decide whether to read the book or not later...no time now, unfortunately! But I'm feeling better about finally learning something of the story. There was so much buzz about it and I knew NOTHING of it really--I felt guilty for being so clueless ;). Hope you have a great weekend!!