www.marilynbrant.com

Monday, May 31, 2010

Booksellers' Best Awards!!

Many of you already know this, but I got some thrilling news over this long Memorial Day Weekend: According to Jane is a double finalist in the Booksellers' Best Awards (squee!!!), a contest where the judges are booksellers and librarians from around the country. I can't express how honored and delighted I was to find out that my debut novel was a finalist in the Single Title/Mainstream category (along with Toni Blake's One Reckless Summer, Robin Kaye's Breakfast in Bed, Susan Mallery's Hot on Her Heels, and Karen White's The Lost Hours), as well as in the Best First Book category (with Red Garnier's The Satin Sash, Ann Hinnenkamp's Dyad Dreams, and Glynna Kaye's Dreaming of Home). It's wonderful to be in such excellent company!! 

 Also, in another delightful but unexpected piece of news, my first book was mentioned in this Suite 101 article last week on "Novels Inspired by Jane Austen." LOTS of terrific Austenesque books mentioned in Kristyn Hammond's article, and it was very nice to be included ;). 

 Finally, I LOVE Fresh Fiction (!!) and, since I've had a couple of excellent contest experiences with them, I decided I wanted to host monthly contests on their website over this next year. Over the summer, they give authors the opportunity to run not only a contest for each month but, also, to take part in some special promotions for readers. So, I've got a "Pack Your Beach Tote" giveaway that just started this past week (it goes until June 14th) AND, beginning tomorrow, I'll have my June contest up for the entire month, which will include the first ARC giveaway for Friday Mornings at Nine! (No, I haven't gotten the ARCs yet, but they should be here in a few weeks...) My Fresh Fiction Author Page will have updated contest details every month, so please check it out. I've been having a weekend of ice cream sundaes in celebration (take a peek at The Official Website of the Ice Cream Sundae--LOL), so I hope you'll join me and enjoy one or two this week as well! p.s. What are your favorite toppings???

15 comments:

Virginia C said...

Hi, Marilyn! Brava, brava!!! I hope all your dreams come true in 2010 : )

COOKIES 'N CREAM PARFAITS

In a tall parfait glass, place one scoop of your favorite ice cream. Crumble some cookies of your choice (good way to use broken pieces), and add enough cookie pieces to cover ice cream. Top with a little of your favorite syrup. Repeat. Top off with whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles, candy, cookie pieces...whatever you like. Just be sure to put a cherry on top : )

Maria Geraci said...

Once more congratulations, Marilyn! And well deserved :)

Favorite ice cream topping? chocolate syrup, followed by whipped cream. Yum!

Edie Ramer said...

Congratulations! It's wonderful, and you deserve it!

Pamela Cayne said...

What fabulous news--congrats!!! I have to admit though, I'm not surprised by any of these award noms or fab reviews because ACCORDING TO JANE is just that awesome!

Favorite ice cream toppings? Why, more ice cream, of course!

tonya kappes said...

That is wonderful new Marilyn! Amazing you are!!

Marilyn Brant said...

Virginia~I LOVE it!! Cookies 'n Cream Parfaits...you are a woman after my heart!! Thank you for sharing such a great recipe ;).

Maria~thanks so much for the congrats and for being so very supportive throughout all of this wackiness :). There is NEVER enough chocolate syrup...

Edie~thank you, too!!!! {hug!} Hope you had a wonderful long weekend!

Pamela~*blush* Thanks, hon. And I like the way you think...MORE ice cream!!! (BTW, my aunt ate a ginormous 8-scoop sundae one time--I watched her in a state of awe. :)

Tonya~thanks SO much for the kind words as well!!

Everyone...I can't tell you how much I appreciate you--you're WONDERFUL!!
*Raising my whipped cream canister to toast all of you!!*

Pamala Knight said...

Yay Marilyn!! So glad to see ATJ getting the accolades it deserves. I owe you a phone call too.

*waves*

Kwana said...

Big congrats! What wonderful news and well deserved.

Marilyn Brant said...

Pamala~thank you! Looking forward to our chat ;).

Kwana~{hug!} Thanks so much!!

Robin said...

Congratulations, Marilyn! I'm waving my pom poms over here in celebration. And okay, I'll eat an ice cream sundae in your honor too. I love good old fashioned rainbow sprinkles on my ice cream. Or chocolate syrup. Or crushed Oreos. Or heck, anything sweet. :)

Marilyn Brant said...

Robin~Rainbow sprinkles! Chocolate syrup! Oreos! Yes, yes and yessss!! And, also, thank you ;).

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Marilyn, congrats again!! I am jumping up and down for you. As for ice cream toppings, I made strawberry jam this week from my garden strawberries. They are smaller and sweeter... to-die-for!!! Cheers~

Marilyn Brant said...

Ohhhh, yum, Nancy! Strawberry jam... My mom used to make that when I was growing up and I loved it ;).
p.s. Just read your wonderful blog post "Writing is a mind game"--everyone should check it out!!

Brett said...

Congratulations, Marilyn!! Your book is fantastic, and I'm glad it keeps getting recognized for its wonderfulness! :)

I like to put just about anything on ice cream, but my favorite these days is to pour apple pie liqueur over vanilla ice cream and add granola. That has at least 3 food groups represented, so it must be nutritious! ;)

Marilyn Brant said...

Thanks, Brett!! And you know I can't think of ice cream without remembering your fabulous rationalizations about how eating it on hot days OR cold days stablizes body temperature--LOL. You come up with some truly awesome (and, um, "nutritious" :) recipes!!