Maureen McGowan (http://maureenmcgowan.blogspot.com/), wonderful writer of women's fiction, tagged me for this Random Meme. Maureen's manuscript The Miseducation of April Hillson is a finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest. Way to go, Maureen!! Stop by http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00122GTIC, read a free excerpt from her book and leave a quick review...if you do, you could win big bucks from Amazon just for posting.
Since Dona Sarkar-Mishra (http://donasarkar.blogspot.com/), who's book How to Salsa in a Sari is being released this month (YEA!!!), already made me do this Meme in the fall, I'm not sure how interested you'll all be in reading further weird facts about me...but I do have at least seven more :-).
The rules of this MEME:
Link to the person who tagged you.
Leave a comment on their blog, so their readers can visit you.
Post the rules on your blog.
Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
Tag 7 random people at the end of your blog.
Include links to their blogs and let each of them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
So, here goes...
1. I once snorkeled in Australia's Great Barrier Reef, cut my leg on some sharp coral and, immediately afterward, saw a shark. I still hear Jaws music in my head when I think about that moment, even though the shark in question turned out to be "totally harmless" according to the guide.
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a hilarious novel and rereading passages from it makes me feel like I'm about fifteen again. I love the description for the drink "Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster."
3. Although I've tried every real drink from an "Almond Joy Martini" to a "Chocolate Soy Latte with Whipped Cream," my favorite beverage is actually...bottled water. So boring, I know. But if my doctor ever reads this blog there's no way he can accuse me of not being health conscious.
4. I have the world's most awesome brother. Seriously. I must've done something very nice to someone powerful and extremely devout in a previous life to get a sibling like him.
5. Painting used to be a hobby of mine, despite the fact that I'm dreadful with oils and not much better with watercolors. If forced to choose a medium, I go with acrylics every time.
6. I've never been to Japan, although I've always wanted to visit. One of my good friends during high school and college is Japanese (we met in the States as AFS exchange students), but she now lives in California. One of my good friends now is American and is living/teaching in Japan until May of 2009. I've heard from him that the sushi there is fantastic.
7. I'm still not a total rule follower and can't bring myself to "officially" tag friends who may not have time to do this Meme right now. However, if I were to say to Eliza and L.A. Mitchell, for instance, that I'd love to read some random facts about them, would that be applying too much pressure? Or, perhaps, if I were to tell SPJ, Joyce, my cousin M., J.B. and Brettski that--even though they don't have blogs--I'd be really curious to know what they'd say...would that be coming too close to "tagging" them?!