www.marilynbrant.com

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Summer...um, Spring!

The Vernal Equinox came and went two days ago so, yes, it's officially spring. 😊🌷🌺🌸🌹🌼🌿

But usually -- in Northern Illinois -- that doesn't mean a whole lot. We've had snow days during this week in past years. I distinctly remember a very lengthy, no-electricity-in-the-house-for-days ice storm in Southern Wisconsin during one "spring break," so my expectations for warm weather in late March have always been fairly low. Until this year. This week we've had a series of days with temps in the 80s (!!!) -- it's so disconcerting! We're Midwesterners, for goodness sake, and it feels like the dog days of summer out there. I'm finding myself tempted to turn on the sprinkler in the backyard and then jump around in it...and, at odd points during the afternoon, I've caught myself wondering, "Where the hell is that ice-cream truck?" So, this is pretty unusual. Not that I'm complaining. I'll take the July-like heat to January-esque hailstorms any day...but I do love SPRING weather. I'm missing that a bit right now. 

Anyway, no matter what the temps outside, it's spring break for my son next week, so I'll be trying to be an attentive mom and will be offline more often than is typical for me. (Someone is seriously going to have to drag me away from Pinterest...LOL.) What are you all looking forward to doing in the next week or two? Do you plant flowers? Take care of some spring cleaning? Go anywhere special? Regardless, may the days ahead bring you that wonderful springtime sense of renewal!

6 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

The weather is crazy. I'm wearing shorts. There were a couple days I could've put the AC on (though we didn't).

I'm furiously writing my wip. So that's what I'll be doing next week. I want to finish the first draft before RT.

Have fun with your son!

Jill Thomas said...

Summer has sprung here as well, my friend. Beautiful, 80 degree days--I could get used to it! Our Spring Break doesn't start until next Friday (30th) and since we are uncharacteristically staying home, I'm sure our house will be bombarded with every teenager from the tri-state area. (As it is most weekends!)

Enjoy your time with your precious son. As you know, the time goes too quickly!

Marilyn Brant said...

Edie, I admire the hard work you're putting into your draft!! One of the promises I made to myself was to carve out a little more "writing-only" time, so I might get a bit further on my manuscript, too. I definitely won't finish the first draft before RT (I wish!!), but I miss writing when life prevents me from doing it... Good luck with yours!!

Jill, thank you!! Our spring break is turning into something a little different but definitely more unexpected than originally planned, but in a good way! And LOL about all the teenagers that'll descend on your house ;). They probably choose your place because you're the coolest mom on the block!

XOXOX to you both!!

Pamela Cayne said...

I remember a May in the Twin Cities where it SNOWED! If there's one thing you can say about the Midwest, it's that the weather will always keep you on your toes! Hope you're enjoying Spring Break with your son!

Unknown said...

It sure is feeling like summer here too. Only bad thing about ATL is the pollen count is SO high, if I open my windows, every surface in my house will be yellow with pollen within the hour. :/ In other news, my tulips have bloomed and are beautiful! :)

Any fun plans with the family for spring break? We are taking the kids to the zoo for the first time! I am so excited! :)
Enjoy your time with your son!

Marilyn Brant said...

Pam, I believe it!! I remember up in LaCrosse, WI (which is right near the MN border), we had a pile of snow that didn't melt until sometime in May. It can be crazy up here, weather-wise!!

Jakki, oh, I hadn't thought of the pollen! Yeah, I'll bet that's an added challenge. Do you or anyone in your family have allergies to deal with, too? Hope you had a wonderful time at the zoo with your little ones! They must have loved it!!