www.marilynbrant.com

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Austen Around the Internet: The Everything Austen Challenge

I just discovered a really great online event starting this week: the Everything Austen Challenge from Stephanie's Written Word. The goal is to read, watch or do 6 Austen-related things (books, films, the making of recipes from The Jane Austen Cookbook even!) over the next 6 months--from July 1, 2009 through January 1, 2010. The deadline to sign up is July 15th, so you still have a little time if you haven't done it yet, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun! Check out Stephanie's first post about this challenge on her website for all the details!

I just signed up officially tonight--the only problem being that I'm not sure I can limit myself to just SIX things. I have so, so many I want to do... I've read only the 1st chapter or two of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, so I want to finally finish it. I own the "Lost in Austen" DVDs and haven't watched them yet. I want to read Me & Mr. Darcy (Alexandra Potter), Darcy's Story (Janet Aylmer), Jane Austen Ruined My Life (Beth Pattillo), The Independence of Mary Bennet (Colleen McCullough)--even though I was warned it was dreadful--but, still, a girl has to decide for herself, right?

In nonfiction, I have these in my towering TBR pile: Two Guys Read Jane Austen (Chandler and Hill, Jane Austen in Hollywood (Troost and Greenfield, ed.) and The Annotated Pride and Prejudice.

For films, aside from "Lost in Austen," I've never seen that Mormon version of P&P called "Pride and Prejudice: a Latter Day comedy" and I think I kinda need to...

Oh! And I have the first 3 magazines in the the Marvel Comics P&P series, and I'll be getting the final 2 parts when they're issued, so I want to read those (but I'll only count this as "one" thing).

Then there's the Austen stuff I've already enjoyed but will want to see or read again... Like being able to settle down and leisurely read Abigail Reynold's Impulse & Initiative and Laurie Viera Rigler's Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, because I gobbled them up the first time and it would be nice to sit back and slowly drink them in :). And, I want to see the Keira and Matthew version of "P&P" again because I've watched the Colin and Jennifer version so many times I have whole sections memorized.

If anyone else out there is doing the Everything Austen Challenge, I'd love to hear one or two things you're planning to do. And if you're NOT doing it, I'd also love to know what are a couple of books or films you've always wanted to read or watch but never got around to it?

**AustenFest reminder--I'll be drawing the name of the last $10 B&N giftcard winner on Friday morning and also I'll be telling you about a Very Cool Thing that happened this week as a result of the "fest"...something that many of you will get to enjoy as well! The big book giveaway is set for Tuesday, July 7th--so there's still time to add comments to my lovely guest authors' posts and get in on the drawing!!**

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I found out about this challenge a couple of weeks ago, and I signed up! It sounds like so much fun! I've watched the first item on my list. It was the recent adaption of Persuasion. I really enjoyed it.

You really have to watch Pride and Prejudice: A Latter Day Comedy. I absolutely loved it.

Marilyn Brant said...

Melanie~after P&P, Persuasion is my next favorite :). So glad you liked A Latter Day Comedy! I've only heard from 2-3 people say they've watched it before, so it's great to hear that you liked it!!

Stephanie said...

There is a Morman version of P&P? No way! It is amazing how far reaching Jane Austen is. Thanks again for joining my challenge!

Marilyn Brant said...

Stephanie~I'm excited by your challenge! It's a great idea :).

Deb~Exactly right on the blogging! Like you, I get new ideas for things to try whenever I read the items on someone else's list... Then again, maybe that's dangerous!

Robin said...

What a fun challenge! And for you, Marilyn, a piece of cake! Hey, has there ever been anything written about Jane and food? A collection of Austen inspired recipes? If not, I say you're perfect for the job. :)

Marilyn Brant said...

LOL, Robin! There *is* a Jane Austen Cookbook! Seriously, I should try a few recipes. I really like your cake idea :-).